Townhome Fire in The Astrodome Area

WHAT: Townhome fire.

WHEN: March 12, 2024, at 4:03 a.m.

WHERE: 2100 block of Engelmohr St. 77054.

INJURIES: No reported injuries.

PROPERTY SAVED: $330,000 in estimated property saved.

DAMAGE: $30,000 in estimated damage.

CAUSE: Failure of equipment or heat source (electrical failure, malfunction, other).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Firefighters arrived on scene within six minutes to find fire on the first floor of a towhome. Smoke alarms had alerted the residents to the fire. They attempted to extinguish it, however after being unsuccessful, called 9-1-1. Crews found and extinguished the fire and ensured there was no extension. The home was ventilated and it was determined that the fire originated from a charger that had been charging a lithium battery. 40 personnel responded to this incident, including firefighters from Stations 33, 21, 46, 24 and Heavy Rescue 11.