Mobility and security measures for the public repose and private funeral in Houston for former President George H. W. Bush will begin about 11 a.m. tomorrow (Wednesday, December 5) and conclude about 1 p.m. on Thursday (December 6).
Residents and motorists should expect road closures and delays in the area of the church hosting the services, St. Martin’s Episcopal Church, at 717 Sage Road.
For those impacted, please plan ahead and find an alternate route. Be aware and mindful of the message boards that will be deployed to announce road closures and updates.
Road closures will go into effect in the area beginning at 11 a.m. on Wednesday and reopen at approximately 1 p.m. on Thursday:
- Riverway Drive between Sage Road & South Post Oak Lane will be closed.
- Sage Road between Tangle Lane & Woodway Drive will be closed.
- Woodway Drive between Chimney Rock Road & N Post Oak Lane will be closed.
- Traveling on Woodway between Chimney Rock and the 610 West Loop will be severely restricted. ONLY residents and business owners needing access into the area will be allowed beyond the road closures.
The following measures will be in place:
- All persons who wish to attend the public repose for former President Bush MUST check in at the Second Baptist Church (6400 Woodway) for METRO bus shuttles and security screening. NO exceptions.
- METRO bus shuttles will begin loading at 4:45 p.m. on Wednesday with the first bus departure scheduled for 5:15 p.m. The final bus is scheduled to depart about 5:30 a.m. on Thursday.
- Walk-ups WILL NOT BE PERMITTED for the public repose on Wednesday NOR for the funeral on Thursday.
- For all persons planning on attending the public repose on Wednesday, be aware that EVERY PERSON will be screened.
- Photography will NOT be allowed.
- No large bags or backpacks will be permitted.
- Weapons of any type will NOT be allowed.
- The funeral on Thursday will be a PRIVATE SERVICE and by invitation ONLY.