Scheduled events spotlight the rewards of learning a foreign language
Houston - The Office of New Americans and Immigrant Communities invites Houstonians to celebrate National Foreign Language Week by participating in a series of multilingual events scheduled for March 4-10, 2018. Endorsed by U.S presidents since 1956, this national celebration calls public attention to the benefits and rewards that come with learning a foreign language. Studies have shown that individuals who speak more than one language have increased brain activity and add value to the workforce. Learning a foreign language also fosters cultural sharing and understanding in today’s global community. The celebration of linguistic diversity is of special significance to Houston as a welcoming city where more than 145 languages are spoken and one of every four residents is foreign-born. For a calendar of events visit http://www.houstontx.gov/ispeakhouston/foreign-language-week.html.
The Mayor’s Office of New Americans and Immigrant Communities is a division of the Department of Neighborhoods. For more information visit http://www.houstontx.gov/na/.
National Foreign Language Week Events
• March 4 – 3 p.m. - Language Acquisition Seminar, Sponsored by Houston Polyglot Café - Three Brother’s Bakery, 4606 Washington Ave. 77007
• March 6 – 4 p.m. - Para Los Niños - Walter Neighborhood Library, 7660 Clarewood Dr. 77036
• March 7 – 11 a.m. - National Foreign Language Week Booth - City Hall Farmer’s Market, Hermann Square, 900 Smith St. 77002
• March 7 – 1 p.m. - Cine en Español - Carnegie Neighborhood Library, 1050 Quitman St. 77009
• March 7 – 2 p.m. - Learning - Mandarin Chinese - Vinson Neighborhood Library, 3810 W. Fuqua St. 77045
• March 8 – 4 p.m. - Chinese Storytime - Walter Neighborhood Library, 7660 Clarewood Dr. 77036
• March 8 – 6:30 p.m. - Spanish Language Class - Jungman Neighborhood Library, 5830 Westheimer Rd. 77057
• March 9th – 2:30 p.m. - Sign Time - Jungman Neighborhood Library, 5830 Westheimer Rd., 77057