HOUSTON – BARC, the City of Houston’s Animal Shelter and Adoption Center, will be hosting 12 holiday adoption specials during December to encourage Houstonians to adopt or foster shelter pets. Special adoption pricing will be available December 1, 2020 through December 23, 2020, thanks to the sponsorship of Proler Industries.
Upcoming adoptions specials:
- December 1st– $5 Cat & Kitten Adoptions
- December 2nd– $5 Dog & Puppy Adoptions
- December 3rd– $4 Adoption Fees all dogs weighing at least 40lbs
- December 4th-6th– 50% Off All Adoption Fees
- December 8th – $5 Cat & Kitten Adoptions
- December 9th – $5 Dog & Puppy Adoptions
- December 10th– $4 Adoption Fees all dogs weighing at least 40lbs
- December 11th-13th– 75% Off All Adoption Fees
- December 15th– $5 Cat & Kitten Adoptions
- December 16th – $5 Dog & Puppy Adoptions
- December 17th– $4 Adoption Fees all dogs weighing at least 40lbs
- December 18th-23rd– 50% Off All Adoption Fees
“Home for the holidays? Consider fostering or adopting a pet,” said Jennifer Barrera Wandrey, Outreach Manager at BARC. “As we limit our social interactions with human friends, adding a furry friend to the family can help keep the season merry and bright. Don’t miss this opportunity to bring your “furrever” friend to spend the holidays with you.”
BARC’s pet adoption package includes spay/neuter surgery, vaccinations, a one-year city pet license, and a pre-registered microchip with a lifetime registration — worth hundreds of dollars if purchased independently.
Pets available for adoption or foster are on the BARC website at www.houstontx.gov/barc. BARC is providing curb-side adoptions and foster pick-ups to abide by social distancing protocols. The animal shelter is located at 3300 Carr Street, Houston, TX 77026, and is open for adoptions Tuesday thru Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The simplest but most powerful thing Houstonians can do to help BARC and pets throughout the community is to foster, volunteer, donate, and adopt. BARC encourages people who cannot permanently adopt a pet but would like to help animals in need to consider becoming a foster pet parent or donate. Visit our website www.houstontx.gov/barc to find out more about becoming a foster. By getting animals into permanent or foster homes, BARC has more space for additional animals as they enter the shelter.
BARC, the City of Houston’s Animal Shelter and Adoption Center, takes in more than 25,000 animals annually regardless of behavior, breed, or medical condition. BARC works each day to improve Houstonians and their pets’ health and safety by pioneering programs such as low-cost and no-cost spay/neuter services, mobile adoptions, transfer/rescue partnerships, and community outreach.
Through these programs and with community partners’ support, BARC’s live release rate has continued to improve and reached a historic high of 91.7% in the fiscal year 2020.