WHAT: House Fire
WHEN: Today, March 13, 2018, just before 2 a.m.
WHERE: 15100 block of Chase Ridge Drive, 77489
INJURIES: No civilian or firefighter injuries reported, however at least one cat died.
DAMAGE: Estimated $80 thousand
CAUSE: Failure of heating unit in the attic.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Upon arrival, fire was coming from the attic area and a second-floor window. The fire was contained shortly before 2:30 a.m. In addition to the deceased cat, several additional pets were unaccounted for.
Working smoke detectors alerted the residents of the home, allowing all to safely escape the house fire prior to HFD’s arrival.
On average, one of every three residential fires in Houston reported the home had a malfunctioning smoke detector, or no smoke detector at all. A working smoke detector gives you and your family the extra minutes needed to safely get out of your home, as it did with this family.
It is also important to have a fire escape plan and make sure everyone in the home knows what to do and where to go if the smoke detector(s) sound.
If you are in need of a smoke alarm or know someone in the City of Houston who needs a working smoke alarm, please visit our website at www.houstonfire.org and look for the yellow “Get Alarmed” Smoke Alarm Button or call 832.394.6633.