|Media partners covering the funeral service and rendering of honors for fallen Houston Police Department Senior Police Officer John Wilbanks are advised of the following:
The funeral service will be held on Monday (October 18) at 10 a.m. at Grace Church Houston at 14505 Gulf Freeway (South Interstate Highway 45).
A map of the outside rendering of honors is attached to this news release.
HPD will escort the body of Officer Wilbanks from the Peevey Funeral Home, 12440 Beamer Road, with a scheduled 8 a.m. arrival at Grace Church Houston. An earlier arrival time is possible.
The route will be as follows:
- START: Peevey Funeral Home, 12440 Beamer Road
- Southbound on Beamer Road to Dixie Farm Road
- Turn left onto Dixie Farm Road to the South Interstate Highway 45 service road
- Turn left onto South Interstate Highway 45 service road
- End: Grace Church Houston
Upon arrival at the church, family members and the HPD Honor Guard will escort Officer Wilbanks’ flag-draped casket inside and assume casket guard duties in the sanctuary until the funeral begins.
HPD Chief Troy Finner will speak during the funeral service. Accordingly, and out of respect for the family, the Chief will not be available for additional comments before or after the service and rendering of honors.
HPD will live-stream the service and rendering of honors on the department’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter and YouTube). Those wishing to honor Officer Wilbanks are strongly encouraged to use these social media platforms.
The order of service is attached to this news release.
Media partners are advised of the following:
- KXLN-TV (Univision 45) will distribute the service’s live-stream utilizing the Church’s camera system and church-generated graphics.
- Univision 45 will distribute the service via the regular pool feed as well as an on-site multbox.
- There will *NOT* be a pool camera inside the church.
- The Houston Chronicle will serve as the still photo pool. Photos can be requested at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reporters may attend the service, however they are asked to remain seated. The Chronicle pool photographer is the only media camera allowed inside.
- The funeral service will begin promptly at 10 a.m.
- The outside media staging location is indicated on the attached map. This is *NOT* a pool situation.
- Media helicopters are asked to remain at a distance so as not to have the sound of their rotors interfere with the rendering of honors.
Following the funeral service, full police honors will be rendered outside the church. The Order of Police Honors will be as follows:
- Seating of Family
- Opening Remarks- HPD Chaplain Vincent Johnson
- Radio Sign-Off – Dispatch
- U.S. Flag folded by HPD Honor Guard
- Presentation of the U.S. Flag- Chief Troy Finner
- Presentation of Texas Flag (pre-folded) – Assistant Chief Daryn Edwards
- Presentation of City of Houston Flag (pre-folded)- Mayor Sylvester Turner
- Presentation of Officer’s Cover – Commander Thomas Hardin
- 21-Gun Salute- HPD Honor Guard
- TAPS- HPD Honor Guard
- Flyover/Missing Man- HPD Air Support
- Riderless Horse- HPD Mounted Patrol
- Advance the Colors- HPD Honor Guard
- Amazing Grace- Bagpipe Band
- Conclusion of Service, Retire the Colors- HPD Honor Guard
- Dismissal of Formation- HPD Honor Guard
Upon the conclusion of services, HPD will escort Officer Wilbanks’ body back to Peevey Funeral Home.
HPD PIO Victor Senties is the media point of contact for inquiries concerning coverage logistics.