Chemical Spill in Downtown Houston Apartment

It was around 10:30 am crews responded to calls of chemical spill at an apartment complex at 3550 Main.  A male resident told crews that he had about 2 pounds of mercury in his apartment.  He said his girlfriend had the jar and dropped it in the apartment on Friday.  Since then they’ve been in and out and tried to clean it up.  The apartment has been checked out and test show unacceptable levels of mercury on the fifth floor.  The fifth floor has been evacuated.  Other floors are being checked out as a precaution.  Multiple people have been checked out.  Two firefighters were exposed and gear was contaminated and must be replaced.  The firefighters tested for low levels of mercury but nothing significant to their heath.

So far no one has been transported to the hospital.